NEW DAY - Chapter 12 PG-13

A place for Penina Spinka's G to PG-13 stories
Penina Spinka
Freelance freshie

NEW DAY - Chapter 12 PG-13

Post by Penina Spinka »

New Day - Chapter 12
(2004 words)

I listened to the sounds of pick and crowbar and the people behind the walls. Their heartbeats were different. Surprisingly, Miceas’ heart was racing faster and harder than those of the workers’. I don’t know if he believed Serali that I was alive after seeing my body carried from the house, but he believed Serali thought so. Despite his doubts and fears, he helped as much as any of them, carrying bricks away from the wall. I heard him tell Serali he would do whatever she required. That was something. I had already decided not to kill him for her sake, but I wondered if he could be trusted.

I heard Esok ask if they wanted him to go out and buy them something for breakfast. The boy was intelligent. There was already enough of a clearing for them to peek in, but not enough light in my tomb for them to see me. The hole was larger when Esok returned. He had gobbled down something on his way back to the cemetery. “Master?” he called. “Are you in there?” I could not answer him, but his cheeriness heartened me.

He resumed working while the others ate. Soon the other men joined him.

Radu. It’s me, Serali thought to me. Again, I wondered how I could be hearing her. It happened briefly when her blood was in me. Perhaps Ishtar was facilitating our conversation. I couldn’t do this alone. Miceas followed you and the designer to his house. He waited for you to come out. Then, he followed the men who brought you here. When he found you were walled in, he came to tell me you were dead. He’s sorry he ever led you into danger. Let him live. I’ll make sure he won’t repeat what he learns.

Take his oath, I suggested. You’ll know how to make him compliant. I have confidence in you. I couldn’t see her, but I think I felt her smile.

The wall was finally cleared away enough for them to enter my burial chamber. Serali thanked the eunuchs for their work and told them to await her in the passageway. She told them she, Miceas and Esok had a ceremony to perform in the crypt. One of them replied for both. “We are sworn to Divine Mother Ishtar and so we must obey her priestess, but this place of death is not for us to enter while we breathe. We will wait for you just outside to bring you home safely.” So saying the temple guards retreated.

Serali led the way into the crypt. Miceas came after her and Esok came last, carrying a newly lit torch. The boy set his torch in a holder against the wall. It gave enough light to illuminate the small chamber, but the flickering made their shadows seem to dance on the dank walls. Serali held out her hands. “Miceas, stand on my right, and you Esok, on my left. Take my hands.”

When they had done so, she told them to repeat the words she would give them. “On my life, I will not speak of what I see and do in this chamber to anyone else.” She waited and they repeated. “So witness Anu, heavenly Marduk, and Ishtar. May I never see the sun’s light again if I fail to keep this oath.” Miceas and then Esok said the words. When she was satisfied she had bound them properly, she led them up to me. “Radu. I am here for you,” she said. These were the most welcome words I had heard in a thousand years. “What must we do to bring you back?”

Remove the sheet. Feel above my chest for the weapon. I tried to whisper, but my chest was too tight to take a decent breath and my tongue was too dry to speak aloud. Serali heard my thoughts mind to mind. I thanked Ishtar when she followed my directions. Her hand came into contact with the stake. Pull it out.

She grasped the gore-covered wood with both hands and pulled with all her might. It hardly budged. “Let me try,” said Miceas. Serali stood back and Miceas gave a mighty tug. He stood away afterwards with the bloody thing in his hand while I groaned. At last I began to heal of the gaping wound it had made. “No man can survive that,” Miceas said. He threw the stake to a far wall. “If he wasn’t dead before, he is now.”

“No,” Serali said. “He told me he was inducted into a brotherhood of protectors by the Gods of his own country before he arrived in Babylon. Because of this, his powers of healing and regeneration are great. A change came over him when he took his oath. We must help him survive.” She paused. “Remember what you swore before our Gods. His only nourishment from that time until this has been blood.” Both men stood very still. “He needs blood now. I will go first, and then, both of you will do as I do.”

I was able to turn my head now. I saw Esok go pale. His eyes widened, but he was determined. “Show me what to do,” he told Serali. Miceas didn’t speak, but his mouth hung open slightly while he watched to see what Serali would do.

Serali was wise enough to know that this was not the time or place for intimacy. She withdrew a knife from a sheath she carried on her belt. It was a sickle knife, the kind used by priestesses for sacrifices. She drew its sharp edge in a deep scratch between her wrist and elbow. When her blood had pooled sufficiently, she tilted her arm so it flowed and held it over my lips. The first drops of my beloved’s blood fell on my parched tongue like the taste of heaven. They slid down my throat until I found the strength to hold her arm myself. She closed her eyes and let me take as much of her offering as I would, trusting me not to harm her.

I could not lie under these circumstances. Nor did I have the strength to guard my thoughts. No one else could have done what you did to save me. I will love you forever, my brother.

Brother? I don’t understand.

It’s all right. I’ll explain some day, I promise.

She removed her arm and bound it in a torn piece of her garment. “Now you, Esok,” she said. He held out his arm and she made the scratch. The boy was brave, hardly making a sound when she cut. I was gladder than ever that I had conscripted him into my service. I promised myself I would reward him for his loyalty somehow. Copying Serali’s motion, Esok let his blood pool for a moment, then turned his arm and held it against my mouth. It had happened again. I could communicate with the one who gave me blood. I heard Esok thinking, You have done this to me before, haven’t you, my master?

Yes. How long have you known?

Since you came aboard the Silver Moon before we left for Nineveh.

You never said anything.

I wasn’t sure about you at first, but when you healed me, I knew that no matter what you were, you were also kind. I can keep a secret, Master. You can trust me. He gave me a sly smile. I sent him feelings of gratitude.

Lastly, it was Miceas’ turn. I didn’t know how he would deal with it and was anxious lest he grasp thoughts from my head that might disturb him. He held out his arm for Serali to make the cut, but he was shaking internally. When he came to me, my strength had returned sufficiently for me to reach out and steady his arm as I drank. He was more frightened of what he was doing and what I might be than Esok. To my surprise, his first thought was not the one I had expected to hear. What are you to Serali? he thought.

He hadn’t known I would hear his question. I’m her elder brother. He shook his head, thinking he had imagined my response. Will you keep your oath to Serali and the Gods of Babylon? He couldn’t deny hearing that. He looked at me lying on the slab in this chamber of death. I raised my eyes to look back, unblinking, but still drinking.

I will keep my oath. Trust me to never do anything to disappoint Serali. I will do everything in my power to make her happy.

In that case, if she’ll marry you, you have my blessing.

Elder brother?

Yes.

You will be my brother in law.

I managed to keep hold of his arm, but I think he felt my suppressed laughter. Before I took too much, I let go of Miceas’ arm, wiped my mouth clean of blood and sat up. I turned so that my legs hung over the edge of the burial slab and inhaled so I could speak to my rescuers. “Hold your arm up for a bit, so you can begin to heal. Thank you, Miceas.” He backed away.

I turned to Serali. “I’m not going back to Ishtar’s House with you. Esok, return to the Treasury. Tell Haggai I’ll see him later. It’s morning now, so he should be there and waiting for you. Tell him the Persians and Medes are planning to launch an attack against Babylon. I expect him to guard the treasury here. If he can, he must get his people to remove any arm bands or bracelets they may have purchased from Miceas with the name of Dagon or Ashur inscribed on it.”

I felt in my pocket for the key to the treasury building. I blessed all the Gods for not letting Sulil or his three blood-drinking servants find it. “This is the key to the Treasury. Guard it with your life, and give it to Haggai. He will be fearful that it fell into the wrong hands. I’ll come for you before we leave Nineveh. I want to speak with Haggai once more. Remember your oath and speak not a word of what happened here.”

Esok bowed respectfully. “Trust me, Master.”

“Yes. I will.”

“Miceas. If you meant what you said, prepare what you must. We are going to leave for Babylon at sundown. Remember that I don’t want Sulil to know that I am alive. It is best if it seems you’re preparing for another trading voyage.

“Dearest Serali,” I said, turning to her. “Go home with your temple guards and prepare to leave Nineveh. Tell Lady Undassa to wait until it is safe. Babylon will be perilous with the war that is coming. We can’t prevent it, but if we’re prepared, we’ll drive off the barbarians before they reach the city. I’ll hire camels for our return today. Bring nothing but water and food, and the clothing you wear. We must travel at full speed. Have you ridden before?”

“No.”

“Then, you’ll sit on the camel with either me or Miceas.” I looked over to the trader who was biting his lip. “Probably Miceas. If you can arrange it, collect all the silver bracelets from Ishtar’s maids and make an enclosed fire on the mountain to melt the words off them. They are a curse, not a blessing. Beg Ishtar to protect us, and to protect Babylon.”

“I will do as you say. What about you? What will you do?”

“I have certain traitors to deal with. Expect me to come for you as soon as I can. Words can’t express how much you mean to me. Now, go.” She hugged me once, pressing her cheek to mine. Esok bowed his head, and Miceas nodded. Then, they were gone and I was alone. I had much to accomplish before I saw them again.
Read Sam stories by Penina My index: http://www.moonlightaholics.com/viewforum.php?f=560
LadyAilith
Fledgling

Re: NEW DAY - Chapter 12 PG-13

Post by LadyAilith »

More please! :hearts:

LadyAilith :rose:
LadyAilith :rose:
AggieVamp
Rogue vampire

Post by AggieVamp »

Ohhh! A beatdown is coming - and I can't wait!
Go Radu!
:cheer:
Karen
Banner by HotMicks

Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional - and I Opt NOT to Grow Up!
:petcat: :petcat:
Penina Spinka
Freelance freshie

Post by Penina Spinka »

You are so right. It is going to be a good one. I'll be posting it mid-week. Thanks for keeping up and commenting. It means a lot to me. Penina
Read Sam stories by Penina My index: http://www.moonlightaholics.com/viewforum.php?f=560

Return to “Penina Spinka's Office”