When Beth Met Carl - "Saving Shi" PG 13 Pairing Shi/Carl

A place for jen's G to PG-13 stories
jen
Cleaner

When Beth Met Carl - "Saving Shi" PG 13 Pairing Shi/Carl

Post by jen »

First of all, I want to thank Lionsonleashes for her valuable advise and counsel, and also the fabulous Lilly, without whose help I would not be posting. You are both amazing!!!

Rating: PG-13

Pairing: none

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

When Beth Met Carl - Saving Shi

Looking back, everyone can point to moments when decisions are made, truths learned and people met who--for good or ill- will play larger roles in their lives later. For Beth Turner on this night, there would be a decision made, a truth learned and an important contact made, as a force defending her clashed with one that would harm her. Tonight, she would learn what it felt like to save the life of another person and that knowledge would change her.

It was long past midnight but the streetlights that chased shadows away were lighting other areas of campus. Beth pulled her thin sweater closer, seeking a bit of warmth from November's unexpected chill.

She hadn’t planned to stay past nine, but lost track of time again and was the last student to be turned out into the night. She thought briefly that her Mom would be furious. She had all but called her daughter a 'thrill seeking danger junkie' on occasion and while she was nothing of the sort (in her opinion) the parents of friends had suggested that she was too much of a risk taker and didn't want their children sharing the danger. Walking alone through a dark part of campus qualified as dangerous -- even in Beth Turner's estimation -- when there was a serial killer active on campus.

She mulled over what she had heard on the news and the grapevine about the deaths, and that she would be a zombie the next day if she couldn't get a good six hours of rest. Her shoes made soft sounds on the sidewalk as she walked quickly toward her dorm, glancing at shadows she had rarely noticed before.

The night before driving her to campus, her mother cautioned her to be aware of her surroundings at all times, and she told her Mother that she worried too much. Irritated, Mrs. Turner related the account of her dauguters childhood kidnapping and immediately regretted it as she saw the shadows rise in her daughters’ blue eyes. Beth had been rescued by a private investigator--just a man and she wanted to make the point that sometimes she may notbe lucky.

Yet, here was Beth, walking across the campus in the middle of the night where a serial killer had already claimed the lives of four coeds. Turning the corner beside Grisner Hall, Beth heard rustling from the shadows of an alcove and quickened her pace, but froze when she heard another sound.

It sounded like…a soft sob?

Fishing through the odd assortment of gadgets she kept in her purse, she pulled out a small flashlight, looked deeper into the shadows and saw the figure of a young black female, dressed in a waitress uniform, bound and gagged with electrical tape. Terror was shining from the girl's wide, black eyes. Wincing, Beth pulled the tape off the young woman's mouth.

“Sorry.”

Then, from her purse she drew out a tiny pen knife and started working on the tape binding her hands and her ankles.

"I know you! You work at Julian's Cafe." she whispered.

"Yes, I've seen you too. Hurry up! I was walking home after my shift and this guy catches me and ties me up. He just left me here,” the young woman whispered fearfully. “I think he is coming back. Soon. Really soon.” Once her wrists were free, she rubbed them where the tape had been as Beth started sawing the tape binding her ankles. “Got a cell phone?”

Before Beth could answer, they heard quick steps of approaching the alcove. She started to get up, but the girl pulled her back down, shaking. Beth heard soft humming and understood the reaction--the girl she untied had heard the humming before.

Seconds before the steps would have reached the alcove, there were other sounds---a brief scuffle, followed by silence. In thinking about it later, she remembered the sound of the wind in the trees and a very faint…whooshing before the scuffle.

When it had been quiet for several minutes, they cautiously emerged from their hiding place. The only sound that greeted them was the late Autumn wind blowing around the buildings, making the dried reddish-brown leaves move in circles on the empty sidewalk.

“Where do you live?” Beth asked, still whispering.

“A few blocks from campus,” said the waitress, eyeing the empty sidewalk suspiciously, "I was walking…”

“I live at Bowman Dorm. Do you know where that is?”

The waitress nodded. “Three buildings over -- that way,” she pointed.

Beth nodded. “By the way, I’m Beth Turner.” she held out her hand.

“LeShaia Greene,” said the young woman. “Thanks, Beth.”

“Thank me later, when we are locked in my dorm room calling Campus Security,” said Beth. “and I don’t know about you, but I think I am going to run.”

“Ya think?” said LeShaia.

LeShaia outran Beth and waited on the steps of the dorm for Beth to catch up. Beth bent over, hands on her knees, gasping for air.

“If you aren’t on the track team, you should be,” Beth said, almost out of breath.

“You did okay yourself but these shoes are great when you're on your feet all day. Also, being really scared helps."

After catching her breath, Beth lead LeShaia up to her room and, as promised, locked the door and called the campus police. LeShaia said she should ask for Carl Davis, her boyfriend, who was a student in criminology and worked part time for Campus Security. Beth briefly relayed the incident and they promised to send him over.

As they waited for an officer to arrive, Beth fixed her guest a cup of tea.

A young man wearing the uniform of Campus Security knocked on the door of Beth’s dorm room.

“Are you Beth Turner? My name is Carl Davis, I‘m with Campus Security. Is LeSh-”

With a low cry, LeShaia sprung off the couch and into his arms.

"‘Shi?” he said softly into her hair. “Babe, are you okay?”

They sat down and Beth explained what had occurred. LeShaia recounted how she had been walking home from work when she was overpowered and knocked out. When she awoke, she was bound and gagged and her captor said he would be back soon. Certain that she was sure that she was going to die, she waited. After a few minutes, Beth came by and freed her but before they could leave the alcove, they heard sounds of her captor returning.

LeShaia began to shake again. “I heard…humming. It was him.” Carl’s arm around her tightened and she looked up at him gratefully. “But…something happened and everything was quiet. It was quiet for several minutes before we felt safe enough to risk leaving.”

“Maybe he changed his mind,” said Carl doubtfully.

“She saved my life,” said LeShaia. “If Beth hadn’t cut me loose, I could have been killed--like the others.”

“We owe you,” said Carl Davisr, “and I don’t just say that as Campus Police. It sounds like Shi owes you her life. What I don’t understand is the scuffle you mentioned, when this guy disappeared.”

“I’m not quibbling over it,” said LeShaia, wanting to put the terror out of her mind. “Whatever it was probably saved our lives.”

Carl Davis and LeShaia Greene stood up together.

“Miss Turner-” Carl started.

“Beth, please.”

“How are you?“ he asked, genuinely concerned, recognizing that she, too, had come near death.

Beth smiled, “I’m good. In fact, I think I’ve never felt better.”

LeShaia smiled broadly, “I hear that.”

He looked down at Shi, smiling, “I see by your books you're a journalism major. If you ever need a contact in Campus Security or the police department, I‘m your man.”

“Thanks, Carl. I’m glad I could help.”

Carl and LeShaia started to leave, but she stopped him. “Wait, Baby,” she asked softly. “Beth, please..I just need to know...most people look after themselves first and would have run. Why did you stop and help me?”

“I…was kidnapped when I was little. Someone helped me, or I would have died. Then again, my Mom says I have no common sense.” Beth grinned and Shi smiled broadly, rolling her eyes.

“Girl, everybody’s mom says they have no common sense!” said LeShaia, returning the grin, a bit of her personality returning.

“Come on, let’s get you home,” Carl said gently, and they left.

When they left it was just before 2 a.m. Beth knew there was no way she was going to her early class, but more than that there was no way she would get to sleep for hours. It wasn’t just fear, but she saved a life! She was exhilarated, but also realized how close both had come to becoming statistics.

LeShaia never mentioned the faint whooshing sound, but Beth heard it clearly.

A few days later, Beth found herself tracing the same path between the library and her dorm room after midnight, pausing briefly as she passed the alcove where she had found LeShaia Greene, bound with electrical tape.

Beth couldn’t say what made her look across the square, but for a second she saw a man on the roof of Kensington Hall, watching her--but it was much too far away to make out any details. At almost the same instant she saw him, he turned swiftly and disappeared.

She felt a sudden rush of…something. It had been years since she'd experienced that warm, safe, protected feeling so strongly, but in that instant, it wrapped around her like a warm blanket. She continued her walk, smiling softly.

She could have sworn she heard a whooshing sound…

end
Last edited by jen on Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
LadyAilith
Fledgling

Re: When Beth Met Carl - "Saving Shi" PG 13

Post by LadyAilith »

:hearts: :flowers:

LadyAilith :rose:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Lucky Beth... and lucky Shi, that Beth came along! Carl is very believable as a campus security guy. Nice take on the meeting between Beth and Carl!
Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

Thanks for this, Jen! I don't know why, but I really feel that Beth and Carl met in college for some reason. For him to be part of the campus security team feeds right into his chosen career as a man in law enforcement, so that was a perfect fit.

Okay, jen -- seriously?:
jen wrote:Winter sunk its fangs into Southern California bringing a rare freezing spell to L.A. three weeks later, ....
Ha, ha, ha! That tickled my funny bone!
jen wrote:She felt a sudden rush of…something. It had been years since she'd experienced that warm, safe, protected feeling so strongly, but in that instant, it wrapped around her like a warm blanket. She continued her walk, smiling softly.

Ahhh, Mick.....
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
lionsonleashes
Freelance freshie

Post by lionsonleashes »

Wonderful Jen! :hug: :clapping:
Beautifully written! :twothumbs:
I completely loved this peek into Beth's history.....and I especially loved the way she felt, and knew, that she was being watched over, and protected....by someone....somehow. :heart: :melts: Her guardian angel.....Mick! :hearts:

Ahhhh.....So warm, even on a cold winter's night! :happysigh: :melts:

Keep up the great work, Jen! :cheer:

Lions :kitten:
LIONS (Beautiful Banner by MoonlitRose)
fairytoes
Rogue vampire

Post by fairytoes »

What a wonderful take on how Beth met Carl! :hearts: Very well done, Thank you jen! :flowers:
Wonderful Banner by Redwinter
Gorgeous Avi by Lilly
Thank you!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

LadyAilith wrote::hearts: :flowers:

Thank you so much!

Jenna

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

allegrita wrote:Lucky Beth... and lucky Shi, that Beth came along! Carl is very believable as a campus security guy. Nice take on the meeting between Beth and Carl!
Thanks so much for checkig it out, Alle.

Jenna

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Thank you, Lions

Somehow, seeing Carl in campus security seemed right, and having a guardian angel to save you from dangerous things could have an effect on your view of dangerous situations.

Thanks for reading!

Jenna
lionsonleashes wrote:Wonderful Jen! :hug: :clapping:
Beautifully written! :twothumbs:
I completely loved this peek into Beth's history.....and I especially loved the way she felt, and knew, that she was being watched over, and protected....by someone....somehow. :heart: :melts: Her guardian angel.....Mick! :hearts:

Ahhhh.....So warm, even on a cold winter's night! :happysigh: :melts:

Keep up the great work, Jen! :cheer:

Lions :kitten:
Last edited by jen on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Thanks, Fairytoes!

I appreciate your kind words!

Jenna

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

fairytoes wrote:What a wonderful take on how Beth met Carl! :hearts: Very well done, Thank you jen! :flowers:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Thanks for the kind words! I really think that the seeds of the professions lthey would ultimately choose to enter would be evident by this time.

:rolling: Yeeah, you are totally right about that weather thing. I don't live anywhere near L.A., and was painting all winter weather with the same brush. Sorry. I had been warned about this, but I was trying to keep some imagry.. You are totally right. I better fix this fast.

Thanks for the catch.

And, of course, I had to have a brush with her guardian angel, who remains just on the edge of her perception. Something she just caught a glimpse of out of the corner of her eye...

Thanks for reading!

Jenna

Moonlighter wrote:Thanks for this, Jen! I don't know why, but I really feel that Beth and Carl met in college for some reason. For him to be part of the campus security team feeds right into his chosen career as a man in law enforcement, so that was a perfect fit.

Okay, jen -- seriously?:
jen wrote:Winter sunk its fangs into Southern California bringing a rare freezing spell to L.A. three weeks later, ....
jen wrote:She felt a sudden rush of…something. It had been years since she'd experienced that warm, safe, protected feeling so strongly, but in that instant, it wrapped around her like a warm blanket. She continued her walk, smiling softly.

Ahhh, Mick.....
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Hi Jen :hug:

this is quite an imaginative and enjoyable take on how Beth met Carl. She helped someone in need, just as she was helped once. She knows she was kidnapped, and her mother tells her about a PI that saved her, but somehow, she knows he was something special, even then.

I have to wonder though, if Carl ever regretted telling her
"If you ever need a contact in Campus Security or the police department, I‘m your man.”
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

Oh, anytime, Jen!! But actually, the freezing CA weather wasn't what tickled my funny bone -- it was the "Winter sunk its fangs into Southern California" bit!! I almost underlined and bolded it before I posted and didn't. Now I know I should have. But don't you change a thing -- I've heard that they do get freezing weather there in CA and it is rare, so it could happen...
jen wrote:Thanks for the kind words! I really think that the seeds of the professions lthey would ultimately choose to enter would be evident by this time.

:rolling: Yeeah, you are totally right about that weather thing. I don't live anywhere near L.A., and was painting all winter weather with the same brush. Sorry. I had been warned about this, but I was trying to keep some imagry.. You are totally right. I better fix this fast.

Thanks for the catch.

And, of course, I had to have a brush with her guardian angel, who remains just on the edge of her perception. Something she just caught a glimpse of out of the corner of her eye...

Thanks for reading!

Jenna

Moonlighter wrote:Thanks for this, Jen! I don't know why, but I really feel that Beth and Carl met in college for some reason. For him to be part of the campus security team feeds right into his chosen career as a man in law enforcement, so that was a perfect fit.

Okay, jen -- seriously?:

Ahhh, Mick.....
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Yeah. Just a bit too ...bad.

Thanks.

Jenna

francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Great story! So this is how they met. Very believable and sweet, and totally in character. Beth really had no sense of self-preservation, maybe due to the fact that she had a guardian angel. And this time the angel saved another one, too, and solved the problem of a serial killer. Now Carl and the police won't have a chance to close this case, but another monster is off the street.

Return to “jen's Office”