Champagne Challenge #123: A New Beginning (Rated G):

A place for GuardianAngel's G to PG-13 stories
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Re: Champagne Challenge #123: A New Beginning (Rated G):

Post by GuardianAngel »

nutmegger911 wrote:Anticipation, trepidation, excitement, renewal... *sigh* Only knowing how it all turned out makes this piece that much more compelling. Well done, GA.
Thanks, nutmegger. What I wrote was pretty easy because the outcome was already known - I was able to let what the reader already knows give that feeling of anticipation, trepidition, excitement and renewal. :brow:
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

darkstarrising wrote:Ah....that fateful day when there would be new beginnings for all, just not what they expected. You've shown us a Coraline that was tired of her 'game playing' existence and found 'true love', much to Cynthia's dismay. She's lost Coraline's affections and fears that Coraline is seeing her life with Mick through rose colored glasses. Perhaps if / when she grows tired of the human, Coraline will return to her. Yet if Coraline does turn Mick, Cynthia's likely lost her forever.

Coraline's new beginning is nothing of the sort for Cynthia, only an ending.

Nicely done, GA :hug:
Yes, poor Cynthia. Yet, with the way things turned out, she made out the best. I'm sure she wished Mick never came into the picture at all but with his attitude about his 'gift', I'm thinking Coraline would have needed Cynthia once again.

Thanks, dsr. :heart:
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

fairytoes wrote:Oh.... :hankie: My heart is breaking for all three of them. For Cynthia, it must be so hard to lose Coraline to Mick. For Mick, because the life that he envisioned for Coraline and himself will never come true. But also for Coraline. Although she didn't tell him the full truth about herself, there is one thing I never doubted. She really, really loved him.

Great answer to the challenge GA. Thank you very much. :flowers:
Thank you, fairytoes. When I read the challenge, this scenario immediately came to mind. My heart was breaking for all of them as well. Just wonderful expectations with so horrible an outcome. As for Cynthia - she is the one with the most to lose on that day and yet, with how things worked out, she lost the least.
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

PNWgal wrote:This is delightful, GA - a short piece, but so much conveyed.

Like fairytoes pointed out, there's no doubt Coraline loved Mick - she just went about showing him the wrong way. This also sheds a little more light on Cynthia - she loved Coraline and wanted nothing but her happiness.
GuardianAngel wrote:Sable eyes caught and held the troubled blue as the bride-to-be cupped a satiny cheek and leaned down to place petal pink lips to the opposite side.
A deep and abiding friendship, not unlike what Josef and Mick share. And Cynthia worries about Coraline's decision to Turn Mick - not just because it's a really bad idea, but because of the danger Coraline will put herself in, in regards to her family.

A new beginning for Coraline, an ending for Cynthia, and a beginning AND end for Mick.

Just lovely. :hug:
You know, Pgal, I hadn't thought about the similarities of the two friendships - Cora/Cynthia and Mick/Josef. But that is very true. Deep bonds there for all of them. When one of the friends make a decision, it has resounding affects on the other.

Cynthia was able to see a lot more clearly than Coraline on that day. She could feel that Coraline's decision was going to turn out badly. But no one saw what was really coming.

The whole time I was writing this I wondered what you would think. LOL. It's impossible not too.
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

cassysj wrote:This is wonderful. It's sad for everyone because it's not the beginning Mick & Coraline hoped for and my heart breaks for Cynthia.
Thanks, cassysj. I agree. Heartbreaking for all. Right up front for Cynthia and the others later. How quickly things can spin out of control.
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

wpgrace wrote:Oh what a cool moment to capture... I wanna see him standing there waiting for her... THAT, knowing what comes after, would be quite a sight. The last public sighting of human Mick.
LOL. Yeah, that would be cool, grace. I bet Mick looked delicious standing up there in his tux, focused on the woman he loves. *sigh* Never to be seen again.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

This is amazing.

It really doesn't fit with my internal definition of love, but in some way, Coraline loved Mick.

My mind rebels at this idea. How can she hurt someone as badly as she did Mick and claim to love him?

She didn't understand his reaction at all--and whether she ever did is an open question still being batted about in fan fiction.

Perhaps, over time, she came to understand. If she did, then that understanding would entirely rewrite the course of her life.

Wonderful glimpse into that fateful day in 1952.

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

PNWgal wrote:A new beginning for Coraline, an ending for Cynthia, and a beginning AND end for Mick.
This is exactly what I was thinking as I read this, so thank you for posting the comment for me as well, PNWgal. And isn't it funny how we can equate Cynthia's loyalty to Coraline as being as rock solid as Mick and Josef's, yet we never saw Coraline and Cynthia in a single scene together other than the 6 second flashback in TMC when Mick realized that Coraline was one of the siblings in the noble family, and Cynthia stood by Coraline as her handmaiden or whatever she was. There was such a strong intimation of their relationship that we didn't even have to see it to feel it and believe it. That's what makes this little story doubly sad for Cynthia to me.
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

This is a short but powerful piece. Coraline was starting a new life but it wasn't going to turn out like she wanted.
Skylar
Freelance freshie

Post by Skylar »

So glad this appeared for me to read. I really enjoyed this powerful scene you wrote.

Return to “GuardianAngel's Office”