How to handle Ben (PG)

A place for Francis' G to PG-13 stories
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

How to handle Ben (PG)

Post by francis »

This was written for a challenge to write a dialogue without additional informations like "he said".

Disclaimer: I don’t own Moonlight, Joel Silver does. I don’t make any money with this.

„Morning, Mick. Beth is not here. I sent her on an errand.“

„I’m not here for her. I need to talk to you.“

„Sit down. I am surprised. I got some vibe that you are not really fond of me.“

Mick grabs a chair.

„This is not funny, Talbot. May I close the door?“

„Sure. So, I guess you are jealous that I spend so much time with your girlfriend. But, let me tell you…“

„That’s not what I’m here for either.“

The silence becomes uncomfortable.

„So, will you tell me what you want or should I start an interrogation. Carl Davis told me you had some weird skills.“

„You have asked around?“

„Just background check. You would do the same.“

„Actually, I did. Because you have something that I need you to give me. And to keep quiet about.“

„You know I cannot promise anything illegal.“

„Giving lists to a DA anonymously to make him look at things he shouldn’t is illegal as far as I am concerned.“

„Oh, this is what this is about? How do you know?“

„Beth told me you let her search for some names that you had on a list. I recognized them. What did you find out?“

„Mick, tell me, is there anything illegal involved, or is it just a prank? Or has this to do with Piers Anders?“

„What makes you think that?“

„Because, Vlad Dracul and some other weird historical names are on this list, and Josef Kostan, the CEO of Kostan Industries, and then little people like the coroner’s assistant. Piers Anders is on the list, and his name is crossed out. What do those people have in common? I labor over that list since I got it.“

„I am on the list, too, I guess.“

„Yes. So, tell me.“

„Ben. I can’t. Give me the list and forget about it.“
„Oh, so now it’s Ben, huh? No chance in hell. Spill.“

„It was worth a try. You are like Beth. You two always want to know everything.“

„Well, yes. Spill already.“

„The list came from Piers Anders’ office. It is a list of people he had contact with. The historical names are just to throw people off.“

„What about the names that are crossed out?“

„They are people who no longer belonged to the circle. People he no longer bugged. I guess his own name is some kind of joke. He was a creepy person.“

„Yes, absolutely. Care to explain what happened to him? How you managed to rescue us? There were at least two more people in the room. And the noise… there was a fight. But police never found a trace. No bodies, no blood, just broken racks and laboratory equipment. What the hell happened?“

„I won’t tell. Because you don’t want to investigate this.“

„Okay, let’s pretend I forgot for a moment. So, Anders bugged you?“

„I knew you would follow this. Yes. He blackmailed me. Every single person on that list has been pressed for money, information, or favors. That’s why Anders got so angry and attacked us. I haven’t met him before, he always called me. I guess he suddenly recognized my voice.“

„And now you want me to just give you that list and forget about it? Who sent it to me in the first place?“

„I guess Anders had left instructions in case he dissappeared to give this list to you. This would be his ultimate revenge, letting the police search for the black spots in the life of those people.“

„So, what’s your black spot.“

„Seriously, you want me to answer that?“

„No, of course. And I understand. After all you did I guess I trust you not to be a mass murderer.“

Silence again.

„Ben. The list. Please.“

„Okay, here. But I cannot promise to forget about it. If I meet anybody of that people anywhere near a case of mine, I will be very suspicious.“

„I understand.“

The chair scrapes across the carpet.

„Thanks.“

„You’re welcome.“

The door is opened, then allowed to close. Then opens again.

„Oh, Ben!“

„Yeah.“

„Don’t tell Beth.“

„I won’t.“
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Re: How to handle Ben (PG)

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

Well this was an interesting little exchange between MIck and Ben.

I think you succeeded very well in this challenge, francis. there is nothing extraneous here, and it is all perfectly follow-able, in terms of who is speaking to who.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

Very intriguing conversation between Ben and Mick!! You met the challenge beautifully!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :biggrin: :whistle: :angel: :chin: :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :notworthy: :heart: :flowers:

mitzie :mooncat:
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Thank you for bumping this little baby, and for your nice comments! :flirt:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

This was great! More direct than I would have expected in the show. I don't understand why Mick asked Ben not to tell Beth, though.

Need to read it again...

:hearts: :hearts: :flowers: :flowers: :hearts: :hearts: :flowers: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Thank you, jen.

Mick has to keep up the appearance that he doesn't want Beth to know about this. Of course he will tell her what kind of excuse he made up for the list, but he doesn't want Ben to know that. It would totally ruin it.
And I guess that Ben will still ask Beth, and that Mick knows that.

Return to “Francis' Office”