redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Afterglow, part two (M/B/J, PG-13)

Post by redwinter101 »

Title: Afterglow
Author: redwinter101
Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: I don't own Moonlight or any of its characters
Note: The fluff continues. OK, this chapter is a bit more angsty, but still firmly fluff.

With my thanks to desdemona.

*************************************************************************************************************

Previously:

As the door slammed behind her, Mick could finally focus on Josef. He sensed tension, anger, nervous energy and a definite undertone of fear. And he'd been drinking; a fog of Scotch hung in the air and lingered on his breath.

"Okay. So now I really am worried, Josef. Tell me."

"Well it seems that the truce is under threat. The Legion's back in town and they aren't here for the climate."

"What do you mean the truce is under threat? We've had three months of peace and quiet. What fool's broken the terms?"

"You. Apparently. Oh, and me. So I guess we're fools together. And the consequences would seem to be rather dire for both of us."

“Tanqueray Martini. Very dry. With a twist.”

She sank into the booth, silently praying the barman would be quick, and set to work.

“Sam? Beth. I need your help, and it’s urgent. I know. I owe you already but this is important. A friend of mine’s gone missing. I’m really worried and I need to find out what’s happened. I wouldn’t ask otherwise. Okay so I’d probably ask but this really is important. You will? Thank God. Here’s what I know…”

She repeated this conversation countless times over the next hour or so, searching out every contact: computer geeks and hackers, lawyers, professional informants, cops, friends and foes, calling in every favour she could think of.

By the time she was on her third Martini, she had no more calls to make; all she could do now was wait.

Whatever Josef was telling Mick, upstairs, right now, she doubted that she'd get the full story. Well, she had her sources and she could find out on her own what had happened to Simone and by extension, what had got under Josef's skin. Mick had been right and even she could sense it: Josef was afraid.

“What the hell does that mean?”

Josef motioned Mick to a chair, settled himself opposite and poured them both a hefty slug of Scotch. “You’re gonna need it. I got this yesterday.” He held out a thick, creamy, catalog-size envelope and Mick was sure he saw his hand tremble.

The envelope held two sheets of parchment-style paper attached to a thick sheaf of glossy, high-quality photos. Mick flicked through; they were all of Josef and Simone. At Josef’s home, at various parties, him feeding from her, them kissing, dancing, making love, his office, her apartment.

Josef was up, pacing, silently urging Mick to read quickly.

“Well at least you’ve been enjoying yourself.” Mick smirked.

“I’m so delighted you find this amusing, Mick. I don’t think you’ll be laughing quite so hard when you read the letter. It seems we, okay I, neglected to read the small print of the settlement with the Legion.”

“I thought it was a gentlemen’s agreement. I hadn’t realised there was anything written down.”

“Always so literal, Mick.” Josef sighed. “One of the things I love about you. I just meant there were certain details of the agreement that weren’t made explicit at the time the truce was reached.”

“Well we’d all had more than enough by that stage. It was a relief to be able to get back to some kind of normality. Guess it was too much to hope it would last.“ A lopsided smile as Mick continued reading the letter.

Mr. Kostan,

The enclosed photographs show you consorting with a human woman, Simone Walker, for purposes other than feeding. This is clearly in breach of the terms of the truce between our two parties brokered by us.....

“Consorting? Is that what they call it now?” Mick was amused by the pomposity.

…… as a result, you are hereby notified that you have until 12:01 a.m. Monday April 7 to cease any and all contact with Simone Walker. Failure to do so, or any subsequent breach of this order, will result in terminal sanctions against both of you, without any further warning.

Mick's mouth dried instantly. He croaked, "So you sent her away?"

Josef nodded. "She's safe in New York. New life, new job, new home, the works. Out of the reach of Kostan." A brief, sad smile.

The additional item is enclosed to assure you of the seriousness of our intent and our ability to breach the most stringent security precautions.

“What ‘additional item’?” Josef retrieved a small box from his desk drawer, turned it over in his hands, deciding, then tossed it across the room. Mick opened it and started to sweat. A lock of hair he knew instantly was Sara’s. "Shit. Josef, is she...?"

"She's fine. Believe it or not, their "code" prevents them from harming humans except in extreme circumstances. This," Josef waved at the photographs, "apparently counts. Read on. It gets better."

As the broker of the truce on behalf of the vampires of Los Angeles, we expect you to inform all those listed below that they are subject to the same sanction. No further warnings will be given nor communication entered into.

Mick scanned the list, mumbling names known and unknown, until he reached the ones he dreaded.

"Mick St. John and Beth Turner." His hand fell, the letter floating to the floor. The rush overwhelmed him, thoughts of Beth, in his arms, in his blood, the feel of her. He sank his head into his hands, trying to rub away the words.

"Mick." Josef had finally calmed enough to sit down. "Mick, you have to believe these people mean business. And there's no reasoning with zealots, mostly because they're dumb, but no reasoning nonetheless. That's why I arranged for Simone to be relocated. Mick."

Mick could hear Josef talking but the words were a jumble. He couldn't focus. He had to think. There had to be options. Thoughts of that afternoon, just a few short hours ago, their happiness, the uncomplicated joy of being together. This couldn't be happening.

"No."

"Mick. Don't be a fool."

"I know you don't care what happens to Beth, Josef, but do you honestly think I'd let anyone lay a hand on her?"

"It might be difficult to stop them with your head on a spike. You know I'm right, Mick. You can't protect her, or yourself, twenty-four hours a day, forever looking over your shoulder. It'll only be a matter of time until they catch up to you. You have to end it for both your sakes. And you're wrong; I do care what happens to her. Very much."

"No, Josef. I can't. I won't. You don't ..."

"What? I don't understand? Is that what you think?" Josef rose and moved to the window, the sunset poking through tiny rectangles left by the drawn blinds. "It wasn't as easy as I thought, sending Simone away. It was a depressingly simple choice for her though." A bitter laugh at his own vulnerability. "She very sensibly valued her life over my ample charms. I know it's different, stronger, for you and Beth. But that's even more reason to stay alive, Mick. You're no good to her as a corpse." He turned and walked over to Mick crouching down next to him, his hand gripping his friend's shoulder. "The two of you, well, even I can see that the universe has plans for you and you need to be alive for that. At least if Beth leaves now, you'll have time, we'll have time, to come up with a solution."

"We've got time, Josef. She hasn't. You and I both know how long it could take to sort this out once and for all. We've all learned this year that this bunch of lunatics are in it for the long run. I... I just can't..." His voice trailed off. He couldn't even say the words.

"So you're going to decide that for both of you, are you? I'm sure Beth will love that, knowing it was you who condemned her to a grisly death, just before they cut her to pieces. Because that's what they're talking about, in case you hadn't worked it out. But fine, you know best, as always. Don't come crying to me when you get home to find her dismembered body decorating your loft." Mick stood; they were toe to toe.

"You know for vampires with superhuman hearing, you two are way too easy to sneak up on." Beth was delighted to see them both jump at her arrival. "Turns out I'm no good at staying in the bar either. So. Who's dismembering me this time?" She stood in the doorway, arms folded, hip thrust out, every inch of her screaming defiance.

They shifted uncomfortably, each waiting for the other to fill the silence. Eventually Josef found his voice. "The Legion. Surprise, surprise. You'd better read this." He retrieved the letter from the floor and handed it to her.

"It doesn't make pleasant reading I'm afraid."

"I've spoken to Simone, Josef. She's asked me to stop digging around, so I will, but she told me enough to know this is serious."

"Did she, um, ask about me?"

"Of course she did. She misses you. But she's relieved to be in New York. She feels safe and she's trying to put all this behind her. She said you'd understand." Josef nodded.

Beth scanned the letter. "So we have a little over forty-eight hours whatever we choose? After that either we never see each other again or we die. Not really much of a choice, is it? Can't I pick door number three?" No-one laughed. She handed the letter back to Josef and walked over to Mick, taking both his hands in hers, waiting for him to lift his tear-laden gaze from the floor. Finally, he looked at her. She gasped; so much tenderness, so much despair, and he wasn't hiding from her any more. She saw what he finally wanted her to see - his need, his love, his grief. She cupped his cheek with her hand, stroking gently. Mick closed his eyes and turned to her touch, kissing her palm, covering her hand with his.

"I hate to interrupt with an element of practicality, but whatever the two of you are going to do, it's make your mind up time. If you're going, Beth, I have arrangements to make."

"Thank you, Josef." She sighed, eyes closed, suddenly regretting the third Martini as she struggled to retain her composure. "You're right. And Mick, you know it too. We can't be in the same city. It's a simple fact. We wouldn't make it; even separated by a continent it's going to be a struggle to stay away, not to see you, or even speak to you." She paused. "But I just have one question for you both. Did you ever, for a single second, consider why I have to be the one to leave?"

She was right, of course. It had never occurred to either of them that Mick should go. Josef was first to try to cover their tracks.

"It makes more sense this way, Beth. Mick and I can carry on working here to find out who's responsible and deal with the threat..."

"Rationalise all you want Josef. We both know it's just that I'm more expendable. The two of you can't face being separated either. Mick, take me home. All of a sudden, I feel very, very tired." She turned to the door, stopped, walked back to Josef, kissed him on the cheek. "It'll be all right, Josef." As she was about to turn again to leave, he reached out and pulled her into a close embrace. Overcome by his own display of emotion, he broke away, clearing his throat, muttering, "Yes, well. Indeed."

"I'll wait for you in the lobby, Mick." She closed the door softly behind her.

Mick was still rooted to the spot.

"I'm sorry, Mick, for both of you. I'll get started on the arrangements. You go, make the most of the time you have. Mick. Mick!" He jolted out of his reverie. "Did you hear what I said?"

"Josef, how can I...?" His voice trailed off. He didn't have the words.

"You will, because you must. Now go. Call me tomorrow, okay?"

Mick nodded. "I'm sorry about Simone."

Josef nodded his thanks. "Bygones, Mick. Bygones." They embraced. It was that kind of night.

When Mick reached the lobby, Beth was sitting awkwardly in a chair designed for style rather than comfort, looking as though her legs had simply given way beneath her, desperately trying to fend off the conversational attempts of the security guard. Mick crouched in front of her, glaring the guard away to a safe distance. He placed his hands, so gently, just above her knees. His touch brought her back to the moment and her tenuous grip on any semblance of calm was lost. Her resistance crumbled. Mick swept her heaving mass into his arms and headed out to the car. She clung to his neck as though life itself depended on it. Mick placed her gently in the car, disengaging her fingers, kissing them gently.

As he turned the car out onto the street, Beth finally found her voice. "On second thought, not home. My place."

His head snapped round. "Why? Beth... no..."

"Look at me, Mick. I'm a mess." Her despair was etched in mascara streaks and swollen eyes.

"I'm damn well gonna make sure I leave you with something other than this," she waved her hand from head to toe, "to remember while we're apart. So I need to go to my place, be on my own, cry for a while and get myself together. Okay?"

Mick sucked in his lips, clamping down to stop the tremble, to contain the cry building in his throat. A single nod. They drove the short distance in a heavy silence, punctuated only by Beth's hiccuping sobs. Mick pulled the Mercedes off the road, letting the engine idle. He clutched the steering wheel, staring straight ahead.

"I'll come over as soon as I can. Just give me a couple of hours, okay?"

Again, a wordless nod and Mick was off, watching her recede in the mirror. He couldn't tell if he lost sight of her because of the distance or the fog of tears that he desperately scrubbed from his eyes.

Beth closed the door behind her. She hadn't been here in weeks; it was no longer home. The memories of easier times, the slow change from shock to understanding, assaulted her, knocking her to the floor. She slumped against the door, sobbing, retching, clawing her way out of the confines of her jacket and shoes, eventually curling up into a ball, hugging herself against the hurt.

Mick didn't go straight home; he drove a short way up the coast to his favourite beach. He hadn't been there since his brief return to humanity but it had been a regular haunt in years past. It was even more beautiful at night than under the unforgiving glare of the sun. He had been there with Coraline; he had even been there with Josef. It was the place he came to scream out his rage, to rail against the injustice of capricious fate. As he sank to his knees in the shallows, his howl rang out across the water, leaving all those who heard to wonder at the torment that could cause such pain.

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
coco
Cleaner

Re: Afterglow, part two (M/B/J, PG-13)

Post by coco »

And the torture begins :( What a heartbreaking chapter.

This section brought the tears :(
Beth scanned the letter. "So we have a little over forty-eight hours whatever we choose? After that either we never see each other again or we die. Not really much of a choice, is it? Can't I pick door number three?" No-one laughed. She handed the letter back to Josef and walked over to Mick, taking both his hands in hers, waiting for him to lift his tear-laden gaze from the floor. Finally, he looked at her. She gasped; so much tenderness, so much despair, and he wasn't hiding from her any more. She saw what he finally wanted her to see - his need, his love, his grief. She cupped his cheek with her hand, stroking gently. Mick closed his eyes and turned to her touch, kissing her palm, covering her hand with his.
And yet more tears :(
He placed his hands, so gently, just above her knees. His touch brought her back to the moment and her tenuous grip on any semblance of calm was lost. Her resistance crumbled. Mick swept her heaving mass into his arms and headed out to the car. She clung to his neck as though life itself depended on it. Mick placed her gently in the car, disengaging her fingers, kissing them gently.
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

The line with Mick's howl kills me every time I read it!! *sob* Love this story!!!!

mitzie
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

And so the sob-fest begins...

Thank you for the re-read, ladies!

Red

bank1115
Fledgling

Post by bank1115 »

I don't know why I'm torturing myself by rereading this...I'm the one who never goes to see a sad movie or read a sad book. Must be because it's such a beautiful story or I'm just nuts! kays :mdrama:
Beautiful banner by Phoenix
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

bank1115 wrote:I don't know why I'm torturing myself by rereading this...I'm the one who never goes to see a sad movie or read a sad book. Must be because it's such a beautiful story or I'm just nuts! kays :mdrama:
Aw, kays, I know how much you hate the sad stories - and that makes it even more precious that you're reading this.

Red

Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

this is great Red.... why do you say it's fluff? That has me really confused. The emotions are real between all the characters here, a challenge they're going to be forced to face.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thanks, Luxe. As for the "fluff" tag, well, up until I started this story, I was pretty much the Queen of Dark - and although this story has its sad moments, it is inherently sentimental.

Red

greenleaf9
Rogue vampire

Post by greenleaf9 »

Oh, OH, Mick and Beth separated?!?! :hankie:

I'll add my anguished cry to Mick's...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*gl9 scrambles hand over feet to the next chapter* :dizzy:
Banner created by the lovely RedNightBird.

"...The moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire fire she snatches from the sun..." ~William Shakespeare

Better Safe Than Staked.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Separation, just when they've found each other. I am cruel....

Red

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I don't know that I'll be able to take too many chapters of this at once...it may be best read over several tries.

But the pain of the impending separation is palpable.

And as for Simone..I always knew that girl wasn't REALLY the right one for Josef.

Lucky
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Lucky, I'd definitely recommend not reading all in one go. And this,
librarian_7 wrote:And as for Simone..I always knew that girl wasn't REALLY the right one for Josef.
made me giggle. I'm so glad you approve.

Red

fairytoes
Rogue vampire

Post by fairytoes »

:hankie: :hankie: :hankie: Chapter 2 and I am already crying! Heartbreaking, painful :hankie:
Brilliant writing Red!
Wonderful Banner by Redwinter
Gorgeous Avi by Lilly
Thank you!
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thanks so much. :rose: I should warn you, there's more heartbreak on the way...

Red

jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

The first jagged edges of grief and pain.

Angst squared.

Soon to be cubed.

Off to run errands. They will be back to read more.

Thanks!
:flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix

Return to “Afterglow”