SB 01 - Mourning (Mick's POV) (PG-13)

francis
100% Moonlightaholic

SB 01 - Mourning (Mick's POV) (PG-13)

Post by francis »

This story explores the details and missing scenes of the episode "Sleeping Beauty", especially the Mick/Josef friendship.
No copyright infringement intended.

It was almost dawn. Driving alone through the night, I targeted on my apartment. I was dead tired. How could all of this fit into just one day? Coraline was alive, but human and very sick. Josef was dead.

Thinking back I wondered why I was still this calm, this disimpassioned.

I had just retired to my freezer, when my phone woke me up again. It was Josef’s emergency ringtone, but it wasn’t Josef calling. His security guard told me with trembling words that there was an explosion in Josef’s office and gave me a chance to see the place. I took it.

When I got there after the police left, I hardly felt anything; I just tried to take in as much information as possible to find out what happened, as I was in a stage of grief somewhere between denial and anger.

I crouched on the grey floor littered with debris. The place was trashed: burned cables, decomposed panels, smashed leftovers of exquisite furniture, empty frames, tiny shards of the wall-to-wall windows. The UV-protective foil that had been installed to cover the window glass flagging in the wind. The brass artwork in the entrance was only a blistering mass of metal. The expressionistic mural that had covered the central part of the ceiling was raining down in rainbow colored particles. The walls of his inner sanctum were carrying the shattered remains of the high end flat monitors, now black and motionless.

Everything was drenched in stale sprinkler water that didn’t have much of a chance, as the place had burnt down almost instantly. It was eerily quiet, and the place smelled of scorched wood, damp plaster, molten plastic, and underneath it all, a whiff of charcoaled bone.

I took a broken glass vial into my hands and sniffed the AB negative. Josef’s favorite. There had been three; Tim, Dan and Josef. I had been invited, too, but had called to say I wouldn’t come. I had been up all day with Morgan – no, Coraline, and was exhausted after the games she played with me all day, drained by the sudden clarity of knowing her identity and the realization of what this could entail. I was still reeling from the vengeful rage of Beth that resulted in taking Coraline’s mortal, dying frame to the ER.

But I didn’t think about that while I explored the ruined office. I was left alone there, and I wanted to be alone for a while, take it in, get a grip on myself. I still tried to make myself believe that somehow this didn’t happen, that Josef hadn’t been here, that this was all a big mistake or a bad joke. Whatever.

Of course I wouldn’t find any clues in the debris, as the victims had been blown to ash; they covered the floor, spread out over the whole office area that Josef had used as a secondary home. Not even a distinct pile of matter to place into an urn, to have a place to remember Josef by. The remaining bone fragments weren’t enough to fill a tea cup, and certainly not enough for three.

In some way, I was glad. Had there been more, such as visible fangs in a residue of skull, I would have had the sorry duty to destroy the evidence.

Suddenly I smelled Beth behind me, and glanced over my shoulder. How was she always first at a new crime scene? Everyone else I could have just evicted with some borrowed authority, but not her. I almost felt sorry for Ltn. Carl. On the other hand, she was the only one I could talk to openly. I just wasn’t sure I wanted to talk now.

“It was poker night. I was supposed to be here.”

“I’m so sorry.”

“Yeah, me too.”

She pulled me into a short conversation about the crime scene, but I saw movement at the corner of my eyes. A camera. She brought a camera man! This was a crime scene, for crying out loud! I wasn’t even remotely ready, still trying to find something, anything, to explain what happened. I snapped at her. Not in the mood to argue with her any more, and wary of the hurtful things I might say to her if I went on, I left in a hurry.

After driving for a while, I finally reached my destination and stepped into the elevator. Smooth metal walls surrounded me. There was still some residue of Josef’s smell inside, and I realized he must have been here yesterday. I smiled at the thought that he always makes himself at home at my place, whether I am there or not.

Made. Not makes. Suddenly it hit me. He was gone. I would never hear his snarky comments on my foolish endeavors again. He would never give me his unwelcome advice that always turned out to be in my best interest. Never again would we reminisce about the good times we spent together, I would never hear more stories about his earlier years. Not that he revealed much of substance in the anecdotes he shared with me. I never got a clear picture of him. I always tried to figure him out, never succeeded.

He had been such a constant presence in my life.

And now my life would be empty, broken like his office, empty shards, molten memories, just litter fluttering around in the wind. God, I really needed a drink.

Stepping out of the elevator I catched a whiff of perfume, of summer sun and honey. Beth. She sat in front of my door as if she was afraid to miss me going in. How long had she been waiting there? She looked forlorn and sad. I needed to apologize for my foul mood at the office, but she started her apology for bringing a camera at the same time. I thought to myself it’s okay now, really.

I realized that I was relieved she was here. She was the only friend I had left, and I needed to get the hurt out, or it would consume me.

So I tried to explain how I felt. She understood. She always understands me, even if I don’t talk. I tried hard not to cry, but the tears just started falling. And then she took a step forward and hugged me. And I remembered that first time, when I carried her out of the burning building, and the other night she got up from my couch after the college student almost killed her. But this time she was the one giving comfort. For a moment I almost felt as if I could go on living.

I invited her in for a drink. Somehow I didn’t want to be alone tonight, like all the other nights, and I opened the door.

Josef sits in my swivel chair, at my computer, in my robe, drinking my stash of blood. How could that be?
I am really relieved now that Beth is here, because otherwise I surely would have killed him for doing this to me.
mitzie
Courtesan

Re: SB 01 - Mourning (Mick's POV) (PG-13)

Post by mitzie »

Finally I'm starting to read this story!! Great first chapter! Loved that you fleshed out Mick's emotions here!!

Off to read more!! :mrgreen:

mitzie
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

francis,

I remember reading some of this but not all...so it's time to sit down and fully enjoy.

loved your imagery
Of course I wouldn’t find any clues in the debris, as the victims had been blown to ash; they covered the floor, spread out over the whole office area that Josef had used as a secondary home. Not even a distinct pile of matter to place into an urn, to have a place to remember Josef by. The remaining bone fragments weren’t enough to fill a tea cup, and certainly not enough for three.
So little is left of one he values so highly.
He had been such a constant presence in my life.

And now my life would be empty, broken like his office, empty shards, molten memories, just litter fluttering around in the wind. God, I really needed a drink.
You can feel his pain, and yet there is a certain degree of detachment as he tries to understand what has happened to his best friend.

A wonderful start.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Reading this again and enjoying the "fill-in-the-blank" moments you so beautifully provide.
There was still some residue of Josef’s smell inside, and I realized he must have been here yesterday.
Thank you for addressing this!! During that episode, I wondered why he didn't smell Josef--figured maybe he was too overcome with grief to notice.

Off to continue reading....
moonshine
Freelance freshie

Post by moonshine »

I finally took time to begin your fiction!
I like the idea very much, you have a lot of things to explore from this episode and this first part is really good! I like how we can feel Mick emotions and thoughts when he discovers that Josef, his best friend, is dead.
I'm jumping to the second chapter :thumbs:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Francis, I've been wanting to read this story so I'm finally beginning it! I love the way you've given us some insight into Mick's feelings.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

I'm terribly behind with answering comments.

Allegrita, thank you, I feel honored that you want to read this. I'm glad you enjoy.

Thank you, moonshine.

Fleur, it's so awesome that you chose to reread this.

darkstarrising, thank you for your comment. I'm so glad you like it.

Thank you, mitzie!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Fabulous!

I love the tidbits of insight you scatter into the account of what we saw on screen, like when Mick is thinking of all the things he will never experience again with Josef gone. He thinks of all the times Josef told him stories about his past, but never really revealed anything and remains a mystery. How typical.

Off to read more.

Thanks!

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Thank you, jen. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Diane31 did a wonderful slide show for this story. Please check it out and tell her how great it is.

http://moonlight-illustrated-fanfics.bl ... ancis.html
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

With all the discussion on Sleeping Beauty I just wanted to give this series a bump.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Francis

This is wonderful.

How intensely alive the Moonlight vampires are, and how wonderfully you write them!

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Oh Cassy, I love you! :heart:

Jen, thank you for reading. This episode is very close to my heart. :wave:
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

Francis, how wonderful to find this story, it is amazing to see SB through your eyes! :hearts:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .

Return to “Sleeping Beauty Revisited”