Josh Post Mortem PG-13

A place for cassysj's G to PG-13 stories
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Josh Post Mortem PG-13

Post by cassysj »

This was one of those what happens after death ideas.

I do not own any recognizable characters no copyright infringement is intended

The physical pain ended when he drew his last breath. He thought bullet wounds were painful, that was nothing compared to having the world turned upside down.

He heard Beth calling him but he couldn’t stay in that body one minute longer.

The first thing that happened after he left his body he found himself in a brightly lit room. It was warm and comfortable there. A strong kind voice said.

“Welcome home Josh.”

“Where am I?”

“All your questions will be answered when you open the door.”

“Is Beth all right?”

“Josh, you need to step forward into your new life.”

“Are you God? Is Beth safe?”

“You will see her again Josh.”

“Can I check on her? Please. Then I promise, I’ll go through the door.

The voice was calm but firm. “The choice is yours. Everyone chooses to be born into this world and everyone chooses where they go at the end of their life. If you step backward you can see Beth but she won’t see or hear you. It will also be difficult for you to find your way back to this point. You may be lost until the last day of this world. Are you willing to accept those consequences?

“I need to know she’s safe.”

“The decision is yours.”

Josh stepped back and was in her apartment. He saw Beth crying. Mick was with her. He heard him say. Turning someone into a vampire isn’t saving a life, it’s taking one.

Vampire. So many things made sense now. Mick was a vampire and Beth knew all about it. He wasn't losing Beth to another man. Mick was a vampire, immortal. He was suddenly filled with rage that someone who lives forever was trying to take the love of his life. He screamed out in anger when he heard the strong kind voice from the waiting room.

“Mick St. John was the one who saved her in childhood. You never would have known love with her if he didn’t exist. He gave you a gift, do not repay his kindness with hatred. That is not who you are.

Josh looked upward but he couldn't see the waiting room. “Why didn’t he make me an immortal?

The voice answered. “You are immortal Josh. It is not your lifepath to walk the earth for centuries. If that is not your path, the turning will be unsuccessful."

"Would I have been...."

"No, Josh. That is not your path. Would you like me to return you to the waiting room?”

Josh cried. “Not yet. I need to know more.”

Josh blinked and found himself in the morgue. He was surprised to see Josef Kostan standing over his body. He recognized him from the Buzzwire story.

“Only the good die young, Kid. Guillermo, don’t sell his blood. Beth should know his body was treated with the utmost respect.”

“I’ll take care of him.” Guillermo said. “I promise.”

Josh couldn’t believe it. How many vampires were in Los Angeles?

Josh spent the next few days following Beth, even when it was painful like when she went to the beach with Mick. He was there when they were interviewing Anders and the doctor turned into a vampire. When Mick was thrown across the room Josh screamed. “God keep him safe, he’s the only one that can save her. The moment he said that Mick went unconscious. Anders took Beth and Talbot with him and Josh stayed with Mick trying to wake him up when he heard the voice from the waiting room.

“You asked me to keep him safe. If he had continued the fight he would have died the final death.

“Beth needs someone to save her. Please God. Just let her live.”

Mick started to move. Josh knelt down. “Thank you God.”

He followed Mick to Guillermo’s and watched him get stitched up. Each minute felt like an hour to him. Then he was in St. John's apartment. Good he was collecting weapons. Josh wasn't sure what weapons could be used on vampires but he was happy to see some action. He was just as surprised as Mick when Kostan came in. Mick asked to be turned back. Josh could feel the pain coming from both men. Josh realized this had to be some kind of sacrifice for Mick. These vampires had human souls. After Mick woke up and roared the voice spoke to Josh again.

“Are you ready Josh?”

Josh nodded. Beth would be safe now and forever. “I am. I’m ready to step forward.” Josh stepped into a brilliant light and was gone from this world.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Josh Post Mortem PG-13

Post by francis »

Great story! Josh got some closure, he knows now that Beth is safe. He was a good man.
I love that he caused Mick to be safe from Anders. :heart:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

This is beautiful, and so sad... but comforting, too. I love that Josh had a chance to resolve his fears about Beth... and that he saved Mick, even though Mick couldn't save him. :hankie: :heart: I swear, they might have been very good friends under other circumstances. And they both love Beth much more than they love themselves. :hug:

And Josh does get immortality. Just on a different path. :hearts:
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

Beautiful, Carol!! I liked Josh in the series and you gave him a great chance after death to see to all that counted for him and that was only Beth. He had already asked Mick to keep her safe, and now he means it with his soul! Because that is what you gave us here, Josh's soul.

It was saddening to think of him somewhere around them on the beach date, suffering, but saving Mick in Ander's office was all meaningful. Josh was indeed a good man, who knows gratitude. And I have to agree with allegrita, they could have been great friends with Mick under different circumstances..
:flowers:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

francis - thanks, I realized after I wrote it there have been a couple of times I've had Josh's death save Mick's life. Josh was a very good man and I wanted to give him peace.

alle - Josh wants Mick to live because he understands he can't protect Beth any longer. I could see Mick and Josh as friends if they didn't have that "girl" between them. I wanted it to come through that we are all immortal just in different ways.

maggatha - It was hard for Josh to see things like the picnic but he also saw Beth's happiness and that meant everything to him. It was no longer a contest between him and Mick for Beth's affection because he was dead and he understood that. If Mick was gone Beth would have no one.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

I really liked this, Carol. Josh was always a stand-up guy and you carry that through beautifully here.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

red - Thank you. Josh was a good guy, just not the right guy for Beth but he did love her very much and would have wanted her to be happy.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Cassy

This was quite wonderful!

Josh was definitely one of the good guys. I totally agree that he wasn't Mr. Right for Beth, but think that if not for the romantic triangle thing, he and Mick would have been friends. We saw in Fever that he had a grudging respect for Mick as a professional--he recognized a colleague when he saw one.

In this ultimately redemptive piece, Josh was able to move on and trust Mick to take care of Beth.

It was his job to keep her safe now.

Thank you!
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix

Return to “cassysj's Office”