Full Disclosure... - Challenge 135 PG

A place for jen's G to PG-13 stories
jen
Cleaner

Full Disclosure... - Challenge 135 PG

Post by jen »

Disclaimer: Don't own Moonlight. No copyright infringement intended. Not making any money doing this.

"Beth, thank you for coming. Is anyone still working in the outer office?”

”It looked empty to me. What’s the big mystery?”

“Carl and I spoke during a court recess this morning, He wanted to meet with us this evening ‘before taking action‘”

“Think he’s just fishing for information again?”

“He’s approached us separately more than once about feeling left out. Truthfully, I’m surprised he didn’t put it all together sooner.”

“I didn’t know how to tell him. Have you called Josef or Mick yet?”

“No. I may be in denial, but I’m hoping there’s some way to talk him out of going public with whatever information he has. When we last thought Carl was getting close, you said that ‘doing the right thing isn’t always doing the right thing, Carl’s not just a good cop, he’s a good man.’ Mick has saved his life on several occasions and broken a number of cases for us. He’d take that into account, wouldn‘t he?”

“I don’t know, but I do know that if we call Josef, Carl will be in La Brea before sunrise. If we don’t, a lot more vampires could die.”

“Reducing it to the numbers seems so cold…”

“Hey you two. Sorry for the drama. Turns out it was unnecessary. Decided I’m not going to apply for that job in Homicide, after all. Why do you both look so serious?”

“Carl, have a seat. We’ve been wanting to talk to you about something for a while now…”

Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Marigold
Courtesan

Re: Full Disclosure... - Challenge 135 PG

Post by Marigold »

Beth is in a tough spot. If it comes down to either Carl, or Mick and the rest of the vampires, then obviously Carl has to be the one to go. This would be a hard decision to make, because Carl is, as you wrote, a "good man." It is a lot easier to justify killing someone who is not good, someone who poses a threat, someone like Dean Foster.

Hopefully Carl would realize that, in general, vampires are not a danger to society. :fingerscrossed:

Thanks Jenna! Great response to the challenge! :rose: :heart:
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Marigold

Thanks for reading and reviewing!

This is a slight departure from canon as in this, Ben Talbot has become aware of vampires and is working with Beth to protect both the human and the vampire community but eventually the problem of Carl Davis not knowing would become a problem. Or, possibly even worse, Carl discovering the truth on his own.

I appreciate your kind words more than you know!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Ooh... what a pickle Beth and Ben find themselves in!! :gasp: I'm relieved that Carl's reason for wanting to talk wasn't what they thought. But maybe they're right... maybe it's time they broke the news to him. Sometimes when you know the information's gonna come out, it's better to control the situation as much as you can.

I hate to think of Beth having to decide between Mick and Carl. :Mickangel:
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Well done! So Ben knows. I wonder how that happened, could be a companion to this story, right?
I really hope Carl takes the news well. For his sake and for Beth's.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Alle

Exactly!

It had been on their minds for some time and so when Ben wanted to talk to them, they immediately assumed that it was about Their Great Secret, and while it wasn't, they nevertheless decided to take action to control the situation before there was no way to control it.

By this time, I think Carl would have worked with Mick several more times and gained a respect for his abilities and his success rate. I think they would be okay.

Thank you so much for reading and leaving a comment!

Jenna

jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

francis wrote:Well done! So Ben knows. I wonder how that happened, could be a companion to this story, right?
I really hope Carl takes the news well. For his sake and for Beth's.
Actually, I was unconsciously picking up the piece from some other authors who wrote that Ben found out what Mick was and had been working with protect both the vampire community and the human one. Lionsonleasshes uses the same story as the preface to her Full Moonlight, which is still in the works.

Thanks for reading and leaving the lovely comment!

Jenna

Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

You know, this is really very clever, and it's quite a tense little piece. I don't know about anyone else, but I sighed with relief when Carl said it was just a job application he wanted to talk about. Fantastic job, jen!
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Luxe

Thank you so much!

That means ever so much more coming from a writer of your caliber!

Jenna

SharonC
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by SharonC »

A fine conversation of why jumping to conclusions and they might be the wrong reason you're called somewhere.

Beth and Ben can both breathe a sigh of relief now
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

SharonC

Definitely!

At the end of this fic, Ben and Beth decided to tell Carl the truth and trust their friend to make the right decision. Because Carl had more time dealing with Mick by that time, I think that he would make the right decision, too.

Thank you for reading and leaving the lovely comment!

Jenna

cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Beth and Ben are in a tough spot. Carl better make the right decision or he will find himself in La Brea
Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

Wow, I actually breathed a sigh of relief that Ben knew and is on the side of the vampires. And I agree that Carl would have worked several cases with Mick by now and would be more likely to keep their secret. Thank goodness what Ben and Beth thought he was coming to tell them was wrong.

Nicely done, Jen!
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Cassysj

Ben had better make the right call after they tell him! Mick was correct when he told Beth, 'I get it. It's a lot to...get." Carl's whole view of reality is about to be shaken and he will have to make some huge decisions before he leaves that office. Personally, I think he will make the right ones, because he is a good man first and a good cop secone, but also because the consequences of not making the right decision are...as you said, La Brea.

Thanks for reading and commenting!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :flowers: :hearts:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Moonlighter

:yes:

The next milestone is whether Carl can handle what is about to be handed to him. He has worked closely with Ben and Mick St. John and has known Beth even longer. I think he will, but that is a huge amount of earth shaking information to process.

Thanks for reading and leaving the lovely comment!

Jenna

Return to “jen's Office”