Dangerous Trails - Chapter 10 (PG-13)

francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Dangerous Trails - Chapter 10 (PG-13)

Post by francis »

Warning: Contains description of a gruesome death.

Chapter 10
Mamo looked after Steve with a sad face. “Another secret on his shoulders that will never get lifted,” he murmured for Mick’s ears only.

As soon as Steve had left, Mick deflated in his chair. “I’m not sure we’re doing the right thing. He knows my real name, he will see that we’re not in Witness Protection. I made the name up on the spot, I had a case with Marelli a while ago but they didn’t threaten me. What now?”

Mamo shook his head. “Everything is taken care of. There is a file in Witness Protection now, and who can prove that you weren’t threatened? Give me your room key and I will have everything ready for you as soon as the doctors let you go.”

Mick gave him the key and shook his hand. “You were great. I can’t thank you enough for this. You saved our lifes.”

Mamo smiled. “Once in a decade you should do some good. Are you hungry, by the way?”

Mick laughed. “Famished.”

Mamo gave him a card. “Go to this adress and ask for refreshments.”

“I don’t drink fresh”, Mick said blushing.

“I’m not big on fresh either. They have bottled. Just tell them I sent you.”

Mick grabbed his cap and sunglasses and was gone.

Beth asked: “How do you know Steve? He seemed comfortable with you.”

“I knew his father and taught the kids how to surf. So I’ve been in Steve’s life since he was about 10. Which also means that I’m guarding a few family secrets.”

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Flashback:

It had been a good day for surfing, and Mamo had been teaching the whole afternoon. The Easter holidays weren’t that busy with tourists, but the local kids were out of school and eager to catch a wave. Mamo was helping Mary Ann in the shallow water. She still had trouble getting her balance, but she was making progress. Steve on the other hand was good enough to paddle out and get the smaller waves on his own. He was bored with looking after his younger sister and had excused himself to splash around with some friends from school.

Sun was almost down now and Mamo ended the lesson. He told Mary Ann to get her brother and hurry home. He knew that his friend John would probably be late for dinner even on this beautiful Easter sunday, busy with a case involving the Yakuza, but his wife Doris would scold Mamo if the kids were late. With everything that happened behind the scenes she was adamant that family time was sacred.

Mamo gathered his hat, his slippahs and his shirt. Despite being a vampire he was old enough to tolerate sunlight for a long time, but he got tired easily. He was still in his forties according to his fake birth certificate, but today he felt much older. His usual early afternoon nap didn’t cut it today, he would need to take a whole freezer day. Maybe he could take tomorrow off.

With thoughts going to his employees and how much he could trust them with another holiday alone he put his things into the car, distractedly greeted the owner of a shrimp shack and set off to go home.

He had just taken a cold shower and sat down with a warm glass of donated blood when the phone rang. Sighing he lifted himself up. When would they invent something like the remote control for phones?

“Kahike”, he said.

The panicked voice of his best friend made him immediately go alert. “Mamo, you must help me! Doris was in my car at the HQ and a bomb exploded. She’s trapped inside and the car is burning. Please help!!!”

Mamo didn’t ask, didn’t hesitate. He gorged his glass of blood down, left his house and ran with vamp speed towards HPD headquarter. He would be faster than with the car this way.

When he reached the site, EMTs and the fire brigade were already there, splashing foam onto the smoking remains of what once was a car. He was too late.

A commotion to the side made him perk up. John was struggling against two policemen to get to one of the ambulances. There on a stretcher were the charred remains of a body, formerly known as Doris McGarrett, now burned beyond recognition. The EMTs were just getting up and shaking their heads. Nothing more to do.
But Mamo heard her heart beat, weak and almost non-existent, but definitely there. He rushed to her, fell to his knees and risked everything in that moment. He bit into his wrist and pushed his arm to her blistered mouth.

He whispered to her. “Drink, Doris. If you want to live, take my offer. You know me. You can trust me. Please drink! Think about your family!”
And with a last unconscious reflex the half dead woman swallowed. Once, twice. Then nothing.

Mamo looked up. His eyes met those of John McGarrett. The man was livid, angry beyond words, and utterly devastated at the same time. They finally let him go and he sunk to his knees next to the stretcher. Mamo hugged him and held him upright, otherwise he would have fallen over his wife and maybe aggravated her condition.

“Listen to me, bra!” Mamo whispered. “She’s not dead yet. Let them take her to the morgue, and I will get her from there. Don’t worry, she’ll be fine.”

John looked up with disbelief. He knew Mamo’s secret and had called him with the silent hope that the old vampire could help Doris, somehow, but he hadn’t thought there was still anything to be done for a body that was burned so much that there was no finger or toe left. John had seen wounds heal instantly, had seen bones reconnect, but this was beyond what he would have expected.

Mamo squeezed his arm. The man was going into shock, that much was clear. He gestured to the EMTs to take care of his friend.
“John, lay down, won’t you? You need to rest, this was quite a shock. I’ll take care of everything.”

John was taken to a second ambulance with the help and guidance of two EMTs. They took his blood pressure and convinced him to get checked out at the hospital. He nodded, but then he called out to Mamo. “The kids! Who will take care of them?”

Mamo nodded. “Don’t worry, I’ll be there for them until you can come home.”

But he was in a bind. He would need to monitor Doris, stay with her in case she woke up early, get her out of the morgue without anyone noticing, replace her body by another one, stash more fresh blood at home, then find a place to keep her away from people for a while. He would be more than busy with her for weeks. He couldn’t go to work or take care of John’s children during that time.

And so John’s partner and a fresh-from-the-academy rookie were sent to tell the kids about their mother’s death and stay with them until John was in a state to go home.

Mamo hurried home to prepare everything for his fledgling during the first few hours that she would stay in her death-like sleep.

xxxxxxxxxxx
AussieJo
Logan's WoW nemesis

Re: Dangerous Trails - Chapter 10 (PG-13)

Post by AussieJo »

:reading: Whoa!!!! :2eyes:
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

Very clever! How well this ties into the storyline.

It explains how Doris could have killed Wo Fat's father. It explains why she's stayed away for 20 years (same reason that Mick stayed away from his family). It explains why John said to Steve "I'm sorry I lied to you".

IU've always felt that Mamo has known more about the family drama than we've been shown in the episodes. (Heck, he was my guess for Shelburne for awhile.)
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

No wonder Steve said, "MOM?" with that expression..
WOW, your Muse is on OVERTIME! :thumbs: You ROCK!
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Wow, indeed!! What a clever twist to this story and as rhonda indicated, would go a long way in explaining how and why Doris had to go away.
“Another secret on his shoulders that will never get lifted,”
or will Steve's curiosity get the better of him and put Mamo and Mick in danger?

Fabulous story, francis :hug:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

WOW!!!

This is HUGE! I don't watch Hawaii 5-0 much (crazy work schedule) but I did at first. This would neatly tie up a lot of loose ends and explain so much.

That being said, we don't yet know if the Turning was successful. As strong as a mother's attachment is, I'll bet she would have kept an eye on her children and may still be in Hawaii if she is still alive. If she is alive (and this is a big 'if') did Steve's father know?

Francis, your muse has not been absent, but working on this!!!!!

Fabulous, fabulous job! We were sure that this story is all about Mick and Beth, running from the Legion and now this has us all reeling!!! This is not simply a Moonlight story whose storyline brushes the world of another show, this is also a Hawaii 5-0 story whose storyline intersects the world of Moonlight!

Anxiously awaiting the next chapter!!

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
BlueEyedMonster
Fledgling

Post by BlueEyedMonster »

Damn Nice twist love this story
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Wow, what a "turn" of events! :snicker: :snicker:

Can't wait for more - this is wonderful!

:thanks:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
Marigold
Courtesan

Post by Marigold »

:gasp: I definitely did not see that one coming!

This story is fabulous! Thank you, Francis. :rose:
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oh!! :thud: I LOVE this angle!!! :yahoo: This is brilliant, francis! :highfive:
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Aussie Jo, Whoa indeed. Thanks!

r1015bill, thank you! It explains a lot. You thought he was Shelburne? Well, he at least turned Shelburne, didn’t he?

Lucy, thank you! Steve must have been very surprised that she hadn’t aged. That’ s why he recognized her immediately, I guess.

dsr, I’m not sure about Mamo and Mick in danger, it might be Steve in danger. Curiosity killed the cat, after all. But we’ll see.

jen, thanks for your great comment. You will see if John knew and if she kept in contact.
My muse has been undead, not dead.

BEM, thank you!

MLC, yes, quite the turn, huh?

Marigold, I’m glad to have surprised you.

allegrita, thank you!
MoonlitRose
Fledgling

Post by MoonlitRose »

Awesome twist, Francis! When you sign up to do a "cross-over", you certainly do it up right!!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

:highfive: :twothumbs: :rose:
-MoonlitRose
To view additional Graphic Art by MoonlitRose.

Return to “Dangerous Trails”