Full Circle -(PG) Champagne Challenge #103

A place for Darkstarrising's G to PG-13 stories
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Full Circle -(PG) Champagne Challenge #103

Post by darkstarrising »

Hi! This is my response to the Champagne Challenge #103, to fill in the gaps when Beth discovers what Mick is.

It's short, reflecting the thought that go through Mick's head as he is discovered. Hope you like it.

As always, I don't own any of the characters, but I really enjoy writing about them!!!

Full Circle

“Please, don’t look at me.”

Please….

“Oh my God. What are you?”

What, not who…

“I’m a vampire.”

What am I supposed to say? Much as I hate it, it’s the truth. One I know will never change. One I hoped you’d never learn.

Your eyes ask again.

‘What are you?’

I’m a monster. Can’t you tell? Look at my face. Look at my eyes. When was the last time you saw someone like me? Probably on a late night horror show. Those monsters aren’t real. But I am.

Silence.

You’re frozen in place, hand on lips. You can’t wrap your mind around what you see. You say nothing, but your eyes cry your fear. Why don’t you run? You should. I’d never hurt you. But others would.

‘What are you?’

The question silently echoes around us.

I’m a vampire….

But that’s not who I am. I’m a man. Once, that’s all I was. Just a man. Living, breathing, laughing, loving. Holding a woman in my arms, making love with her was my greatest joy. I paid for that love with everything I had, everything I wanted.

I’m a vampire….

The sun on my body once filled me with life. Now, it drains it away. When I was a man, blood coursed through my veins and I was never aware of it. Now, blood is my life, my undead life.

Silence.

Your hand falls from your lips. Your fear falls with it. What is in your eyes now? Can’t look. Don’t want to see.

I look. No fear.

Curiosity.

Your eyes reflect a time long ago. A time I know you don’t remember. A time I hope you never do.

Pity.

How can you pity me? You have no idea what I’ve done. Or do you?

“No, don’t come near me! Don’t, please.” I turn from you as I scuttle away. Let me curl up and hide my face from you. Hide my shame from you.

But you won’t let me.

I feel your touch. So gentle, so hesitant. Your mind tells you to run, but your heart tells you to stay. You’re not afraid. I’m not surprised.

“Let me help you, Mick.”

How? How can you help me? You can’t. What’s done can’t be undone. I’ll never be more than what you see now.

Monster.

I’ll never be able to hold you as a man holds a woman. I can never trust myself with you.

Monster.

Standing, I try to move away from you, but the pain is too great and the silver is killing me. I stumble to my knees again. Need to get it out.

“Mick, please, what can I do?”

I turn to face you, to tell you to leave. Then, I see it in your eyes.

Trust

It hits me as you hold your hand out to me. We’ve done this before. But the roles are reversed. I’m the one scared and in pain, huddled in on myself, hoping to be invisible. Not so long ago, it was you, curled up tight, trying to hide from the horror around you. Trying to be invisible. Hoping it was all just a bad dream.

That night, I held out my hand to you and said I would take you home. What did you see in me so long ago? A man you didn’t know, covered in blood, offered you hope. You looked into my eyes and gave me your trust. Then you gave me your hand. You were safe.

Your eyes hold mine now.

Trust me. Let me help. You can trust me.

I can. I do. I give you my hand. We have come full circle. I am safe.
Last edited by darkstarrising on Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Re: Full Circle -(PG) Champagne Challenge #103

Post by librarian_7 »

I have liked all the challenge fics for this, and yours takes yet a different slant on it...good work, DSR!

Lucky
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oh, DSR...
:hankie: :hankie: :hankie: :hankie: :comfort: :rose: :hug: :hearts:
That's really, really gorgeous.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Oh. My. God. That was just absolutely beautiful and heartbreaking... and HOW cool... they come full circle and she holds out her hand to him. What a lovely symmetry.

His V/O starts just where we think it would... the self disgust, the expectation for her fear and loathing... the surprise she shakes it off... but you take it one step further... he accepts her hand. That is a BIG step for him. How satisfying to "witness" him making it.

Lovely, just lovely.
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

librarian_7 wrote:I have liked all the challenge fics for this, and yours takes yet a different slant on it...good work, DSR!

Lucky
Lucky,

thanks...three little words send us all off in many directions...all of them fascinating.
allegrita wrote:Oh, DSR...
:hankie: :hankie: :hankie: :hankie: :comfort: :rose: :hug: :hearts:
That's really, really gorgeous.
alle,

thanks...I'm glad you liked it :rose:

wpgrace wrote:Oh. My. God. That was just absolutely beautiful and heartbreaking... and HOW cool... they come full circle and she holds out her hand to him. What a lovely symmetry.

His V/O starts just where we think it would... the self disgust, the expectation for her fear and loathing... the surprise she shakes it off... but you take it one step further... he accepts her hand. That is a BIG step for him. How satisfying to "witness" him making it.

Lovely, just lovely.
grace,

thanks....the mental image of him cowering on the floor reminded me of Beth as a little girl trying to hide under the table...both times she sees him covered in blood and should have been scared to death. Yet in each case, she trusts him. Now it's his turn.
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Fascinating take on the challenge. I really like the fact they came full circle. True Mick to the core.
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Oh...oh Karen...

This was so beautiful. There's so much here:
But that’s not who I am. I’m a man. Once, that’s all I was.
Perfect. Being a vampire's not WHO he is.
Your hand falls from your lips. Your fear falls with it.
Just lovely.
He's safe with the one he's always kept safe. Definitely full circle.

Thank you for this.

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

cassysj wrote:Fascinating take on the challenge. I really like the fact they came full circle. True Mick to the core.
cassy,

thanks...Mick can't hide from her anymore. But can he trust her? In the end, he decides he can.
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

lorig
Fledgling

Post by lorig »

Ya know, you get me every time :hankie: . That was beautiful. well done DSR :clapping:
Gorgeous banner by PinkiePie
Tag by Mags and coco
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

dsr, that is beautiful. Poetic.

Mick worries most about the fear and loathing he will see in her eyes. But it wasn't there when she was four and it's not there now. And now it's him needing to trust her. Full circle. Yes indeed. And lovely.

We find out later the lengths Beth will go to keep him safe so I guess he was right to trust her.
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

PNWgal wrote:Oh...oh Karen...

This was so beautiful. There's so much here:
But that’s not who I am. I’m a man. Once, that’s all I was.
Perfect. Being a vampire's not WHO he is.
Your hand falls from your lips. Your fear falls with it.
Just lovely.
He's safe with the one he's always kept safe. Definitely full circle.

Thank you for this.
Jen,

thank you!! :hug: In his own mind he tries to distinguish between the vamp and the man, hoping that she will still be able to see him as a man and not the monster he sees himself as.

I really liked the notion of Beth reaching out to him, to bring him to safety, much as he did for her so many years ago. The favor is returned and their relationship takes a step forward.
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

lorig wrote:Ya know, you get me every time :hankie: . That was beautiful. well done DSR :clapping:
lorig,

thanks, but I can't have you :hankie: . But the muse is happy you like her little offering :rose:
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

one.zebra
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by one.zebra »

DS, so true, so beautiful....
Banner and avatar by Twilightdew!

Travelling 33rpm in an iPod world
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

GuardianAngel wrote:dsr, that is beautiful. Poetic.

Mick worries most about the fear and loathing he will see in her eyes. But it wasn't there when she was four and it's not there now. And now it's him needing to trust her. Full circle. Yes indeed. And lovely.

We find out later the lengths Beth will go to keep him safe so I guess he was right to trust her.
GA,

thanks :rose: He's afraid to see how he's reflected in her eyes...but after the initial shock and sadness, there is nothing there but trust. She's never been afraid of him and she's not going to start now.
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

That was beautiful! :hankie: You captured Mick perfectly!! :Mickangel: Beth, no fear. I think she sub-consciously remembers him saving her and now she wants to save him. He takes her hand and follows the light from his Beth. Lovingly done!!!! :clapping: :clapping: :angel: :seesaw: :yahoo: :hyper: :hyper: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :notworthy: :hearts:

mitzie

Return to “Darkstarrising's Office”