Immortality, a Between the Lines Drabble (PG-13)

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Immortality, a Between the Lines Drabble (PG-13)

Post by librarian_7 »

A "Dr. Feelgood" Drabble...

Immortality, a Between the Lines Drabble

“Immortality looks pretty good to me.”

She hasn’t considered the implications. All she sees is eternal youth, not eternal solitude. The way pain surrounds you, every person you care about aging and dying, with no hope of death for yourself. Nothing but watching it all happen over and over. She doesn’t understand what it means, living with the hunger night after night. She’s almost glowing with curiosity and life, and the hard part hasn’t dawned on her. The bitterness of it, that she’ll never know. Yeah, being a vampire looks good from the outside, but,

“Not from where I’m sitting.”
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Immortality, a Between the Lines Drabble (PG-13)

Post by francis »

Great little in-between. Yeah, she doesn't know yet, she's just curious. She will see one of the implications in the next episode, and more later. One day, she will understand him.
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

It's so easy to see just the surface perks of being a vampire. When you get down to it there is a price to pay for immortality.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

You're a mind-reader, you know that? I can see those thoughts flitting over Mick's face in that scene. Beth is so ignorant at this stage. She hasn't got a clue as to what he goes through, and how the bad things suck the joy out of the good parts of being a vampire. I love this description of Beth: She’s almost glowing with curiosity and life... That's part of what makes her so attractive to him. Her humanity, and her willingness to accept him despite the fact that he's not human. But it's at times like this that Mick is brought up short by the gulf that separates them. And the fact that he's tongue-tied at important moments sure doesn't help! :witsend:
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

allegrita wrote:You're a mind-reader, you know that? I can see those thoughts flitting over Mick's face in that scene. Beth is so ignorant at this stage. She hasn't got a clue as to what he goes through, and how the bad things suck the joy out of the good parts of being a vampire. I love this description of Beth: She’s almost glowing with curiosity and life... That's part of what makes her so attractive to him. Her humanity, and her willingness to accept him despite the fact that he's not human. But it's at times like this that Mick is brought up short by the gulf that separates them. And the fact that he's tongue-tied at important moments sure doesn't help! :witsend:

I totally agree with alle on this one, she just says it better than I could have!! :thud:

Love it!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :hyper2: :Mickangel: :sigh: :slaphead: :devil: :angel: :eyes: :eyes: :slingshot: :manicure: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :notworthy: :heart: :rose:

mitzie :mooncat:
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

funny... I just watched that episode again this morning. this was perfect for that little moment.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Oh I think you captured his thoughts in that scene... and his opinion about immortality... so perfectly in such few words! Brava!

And you captured Beth's mystique for Mick as well... around HER, he glows too. In spite of himself.
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

What a perfect little description of what must have been going through Mick's head at that moment ... and I love the way you've fit it in between those two lines of dialog which came about two seconds apart. Very, very nice indeed.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Thanks! I really loved doing the "between the lines" drabbles, because it's such a fun way to express an analysis of these moments.

Lucky
wollstonecraft61
Rogue vampire

Post by wollstonecraft61 »

And because of the restraints of a drabble (100 words), it reminds me of poetry, kind of like haiku. Wonderful job, Lucky.
Banner by the beautiful Alyssa Banner by the EXTREMELY talented eris
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

That's very true, woll. I'm something of a poet (or used to be, before fic took over my life!--even published some in literary magazines) and I also think of these drabbles as "prose poems" because of the space constraint.

It's an exercise in discipline, getting what you want to say done in that space.

Lucky
wollstonecraft61
Rogue vampire

Post by wollstonecraft61 »

I find a lot of people feel that poetry, at least these days, is a medium without constraint. Rhyme, meter, rhythm...a lot of that is missing in many of today's poems. That's okay if that is what the poet specifically wishes to convey...a break from the norm. However, I think many feel that poetry is whatever one wishes to put to paper. I find poetry with constraints is extremely difficult to do. Look at Paradise Lost: 12 books of blank verse. Imagine writing that!!!!
Banner by the beautiful Alyssa Banner by the EXTREMELY talented eris
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

We see what we want to see.

So did Beth. Can we blame her? Seemingly long life, no aging, enhanced abilities that can be used for good in exchange for giving up a few things that seem, at first glance, as not that important.

The grass it always greener on the other side of the fence.

Beth learned, and grew, and in spite of saying that she never wanted to make that decision, you wonder what her true feelings were.

This was a superb peak into what was beneath Mick's words to her at that moment. He didn't elaborate. It wasn't time yet.

Thanks, Lucky

Jenna

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
Last edited by jen on Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

It seems only fair to me that someone should pay a price for immortality...You gain something, you have to give away something...
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Delighted to see this pop back up on Active Topics!

No, Beth doesn't understand it. Not then, and not at the end of Sonata, but I think there was one thing Mick came to understand.

She loved him and he loved her, and while they still had challenges and difficulties ahead of them, that fact made the details of their separate conditions nothing more than statistics to be learned and barriers to be overcome.

And overcoming those obstacles would only strenghten their love.

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix

Return to “Drabbles and Short Pieces”