The Necklace (G) - 1st Line Challenge

A place for MickLifeCrisis' G to PG-13 stories
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

The Necklace (G) - 1st Line Challenge

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

I'm using one of my own lines from the 1st Line Game. Thanks again Lorig, for being my idea bouncer!

The Necklace

Beth didn't know whether to be angry or relieved to find Marissa's necklace on Josh's nightstand. She sat on the edge of his bed, staring at the necklace in her hand. She began carrying on an inner dialogue in her head, with Beth the Buzzwire reporter interviewing, well, Beth.

You’re angry.

You bet I’m angry! I’ve just discovered my boyfriend is sleeping with my best friend!

Are you really so surprised?

Of course I’m surprised! I didn’t see this coming at all.

And why is that?

I’ve been, um, distracted lately.

You’ve been distracted by Mick St. John.

Well, maybe a little.

A little? Even Josh noticed the way you two looked at each other. He couldn’t help but notice it.

That was nothing.

You fed him your blood.

He was dying.

You kissed him.

That’s not the same thing!

Why isn’t it?

Kissing someone is not the same as having an affair behind my back. I would never do that.

You’ve been having an emotional affair, though, haven’t you? Haven’t you?

Mick is exciting! He’s dashing! He makes me feel alive! Josh is just… comfortable.

Are you sure you’re not just attracted to the thrill? The danger? The adrenalin rush?

No! Well, yes. I mean, yes that’s part of it, but it’s not just all that. There’s something else there that’s not there with Josh. Mick and I have a connection. I can feel it.

Do you think he feels it, too?

Yes.

Then you ARE relieved that Josh has someone else. The anger is at yourself, not Josh.

I don’t know…maybe… yes.

The front door opened and Beth heard the sound of laughter drifting in.

“I know just where I left it. It’s right in – Beth!”

“Hello Marissa.” Beth dangled the necklace in the air. “Was this what you were looking for?”

Marissa’s face was flaming red as she stared open-mouthed at Beth. Josh suddenly appeared at Marissa’s side in the doorway.

“What’s the matter – Beth! I – I wasn’t expecting you.”

“Obviously.”

The three of them kept glancing at each other until the awkward silence was more than Beth could stand. She stood up and walked towards them. “I believe this is yours,” she said flatly, dropping the necklace into Marissa’s hand. She turned to Josh and said coolly, “We need to talk.” Without waiting for a reply she squeezed past them through the doorway and went into the living room to sit down.

Josh and Marissa stared at each other. “I - I think I should leave now,” Marissa said, finally finding her voice.

Josh tried to give her a confident smile. “I’ll call you later,” he whispered. Marissa nodded and turned to go. In the living room she paused in front of Beth.

“I’m sorry, Beth. I…”

Beth held up her hand to stop her before she could finish. “Please, just go.” With a last glance at Josh, Marissa turned and walked out the door.

Josh walked slowly into the living room and sat down on the edge of the chair, opposite Beth. Elbows on his knees, he clasped his hands together and hung his head.

“I’m sorry,” he finally said.

“Sorry for cheating on me, or just sorry you got caught?” The look on his face told Beth all she needed to know.

“Beth, it’s… I mean, I…” Again Beth held up her hand.

“Save it Josh. I don’t want to hear it.” She sighed, looking around the apartment at anything other than Josh as she gathered her thoughts. “Look, we’ve been drifting apart, and I think we both know that. It was just a matter of time. It would have happened eventually, even without, um, outside influences.”

“You mean Mick.”

Beth flushed and nodded. “And Marissa. She’s had goo-goo eyes for you for some time.”

“Goo-goo eyes?” Josh laughed, and some of the heaviness in the air disappeared. Beth smiled, then turned serious again.

“But while I’ve been on the fence, you apparently made your decision. You should have just told me you wanted out. I always thought of you as the kind who took the high road, but now…”

“Beth, you don’t understand…”

“I understand enough. We loved each other once. Let’s just remember those times, and not this. Not today.”

Josh gave her a small grin. “You always did love ‘Casablanca’.”

Beth gave a weak smile and wiped a stray tear. “We watched it enough.” She stood up. “It’s time we moved on with our lives, with other people. I’ll pack up your things and let you know when you can pick them up.”

Josh walked her to the door. “I’ll do the same.” He kissed her cheek. “You be careful with St. John. I’m not sure I trust him.”

Beth smiled. “But I do. Good-bye Josh,” and she stepped out the door.

Before Beth reached her car, her phone rang. Mick’s ringtone. How did he know to call when I needed him to? She sniffed and cleared her throat before answering. “Hey.”

“Hey – are you okay? I just got this funny feeling that something wasn’t right and I should call.”

We really do have a connection.

The End
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: The Necklace (G) - 1st Line Challenge

Post by wpgrace »

:happysigh: Nice story... and I think that IS how these two would've ended it. Classy. Had not Josh gotten shot and all that.
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
lorig
Fledgling

Post by lorig »

Awww shucks Darlin'. I didn't do nothin'. This gem is all you!! I loved it!! Nicely done... :clapping: :cheer:

I think we could all use a little inner Beth sometimes... :laugh:
Gorgeous banner by PinkiePie
Tag by Mags and coco
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

This is an awesome story. I love the inner dialogue, and how Beth dealt with it all like an adult, even when she was hurt.
This is the way it could have gone, without killing Josh off, or even with that. I always got that Marissa was just fishing for clues when she asked Beth why they didn't move in with each other. :snicker:
susieb
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by susieb »

I love "innner Beth." Great story! :hearts:
Susie

Sometimes the past doesn't catch up with you, it haunts you.
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

How I wish, I wish, I wish we got a scene like that in Moonlight.

Oh. We just did. :snicker:

Loved it, MLC. I don't think Josh would have gone along with the whole engagement thing if he'd had feelings for Marissa. But then again, if we had gotten to this scene first the rest would have been different. :twothumbs:
greenleaf9
Rogue vampire

Post by greenleaf9 »

Really good story MLC! I liked how inner Beth guided her to realize that who she was mad at, was herself. I also like the idea that Beth wasn't the only one who was straying away from their relationship.

To sum up, loved the story! Brava! :clapping:
Banner created by the lovely RedNightBird.

"...The moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire fire she snatches from the sun..." ~William Shakespeare

Better Safe Than Staked.
Albra
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Albra »

This is better, better, better than killing of Josh !
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
I just love this MLC !
:rose:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

MLC, I really like this AU story. It fits beautifully with Beth's and Josh's personalities. (I loved Beth's self-interview--man, that woman can be tough on her interviewees, can't she?) :laugh:

I can see this scenario happening. I think it would happen as a result of Josh getting "carried away" (and of Marissa's manipulating him to do so). Maybe this is the "morning after the night before," so to speak. I don't see Josh being comfortable with carrying on a long-term affair with Marissa behind Beth's back... he's a stand-up guy, and he wouldn't like living a lie. On the other hand, I see Josh as a guy who, at least emotionally, is more of a "responder" than an "initiator." If Marissa really set her sights on him, especially after he could feel Beth's feelings beginning to drift, I think it's very likely that he'd be swept away, and fall into bed with Marissa. But (following this scenario) if Beth hadn't found the necklace, I think Josh would have gone to see her later that day to tell her what had happened.

It's fascinating to think about how this would have changed things. Would Marissa's face have been on that picture Tejada's goons dropped by Josh? Would he still have been kidnapped? Hmmm... :chin:
fairytoes
Rogue vampire

Post by fairytoes »

Great story MLC! Thank you! :flowers: :hearts:
Wonderful Banner by Redwinter
Gorgeous Avi by Lilly
Thank you!
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I really like this story. You captured Beth so well and this is much better then killing Josh. :clapping:
wollstonecraft61
Rogue vampire

Post by wollstonecraft61 »

Wow, well done. And Josh didn't have to die in this one! :clapping:
Banner by the beautiful Alyssa Banner by the EXTREMELY talented eris
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Thank you all for your wonderful comments! :flowers: I'm glad you liked it! This is my third story in which Beth and Josh break up. The other two were nasty break ups (with Josh being the nasty one) so I decided on a "calm" one this time.

Thanks again for reading! :reading: :thanks:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Hi MLC!! :hearts:

I'll echo what others have said....Beth's inner dialogue is perfect....she's not the one doing anything behind Josh's back....is she? Of course she is, but she's been in denial.

The conversation between Beth and Josh is touching. It's over, they know it, but it still hurts, even though each of them has found someone else. Really liked the reference to watching Casablanca. After all, Tuesday was movie night, and this would be one to remember. And Mick...feeling something was off. They really do have a connection.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

this is fantastic, MLC. That opening to-ing and fro-ing internal dialogue was great. I could really hear it in my head. I would have liked to have seen Beth do some of this sort of reflection in the show. Really well done.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks

Return to “MickLifeCrisis' Office”